Macrame continues to be a huge homewares trend, and I don’t mind admitting I got a little addicted to making these once I found out how easy they were to make!
Make these darling little mini cactus pots for yourself or as a cheap and easy gift.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Rope or t-shirt yarn
- Small terracotta pots
- White paint
- Glitter or brightly coloured gaffa tape
- Small gravel
1.First prepare your pot. Stick portions of the gaffa tape of your choice onto the plastic sheets, and draw your designs. Think squares, triangles, circles, stripes or stars! Cut these out, then peel off the plastic sheet and stick to your pot.
2. Now it’s time to create the macramé hanger! Cut three lengths of upcycled t-shirt yarn (follow the link for the tutorial!) around 2 meters long each. The longer each piece of yarn, the longer your tails will be.
3. Pass the three strands through the centre of the ring, and pull through until the strands are folded equally in half. Tie a knot close the ring. You now have 9 strands to work with. Separate the strands into three sections, with two strands per section.
TOP TIP – It helps to have the trigger ring tied onto a door handle or chair.
4. Tie one section into a knot about 45cm down from the pole ring. Repeat with the other three sections.
5. Now pair off the left strand from one section with the right strand from the next section. Tie these strands together 6cm below the previous knot. Repeat with the other three sections.
TOP TIP – it helps to use your ruler and pencil to measure exactly!
6. Repeat step 5 one more time, leaving 6 cm distance between the knots.
7. Tie all the strands together at the base of where the plant pot will be. Cut off the excess yarn to get an even tassel.
8. Now prepare your plant. Seal the hole underneath with masking tape if there is one. Then put about three or four tablespoons of soil into your pot. It should reach just over half way. Put on the gloves, and carefully remove your cacti from its pot, and place on top of the soil. The cactus should be level with the top of the pot. Spoon a few extra tablespoons of soil into your pot, and press in using your fingers. Finish with gravel.
Carefully hang in your macrame planters and your done!
Have you got any tips or tricks for creating macrame? Let me know by commenting below.