I’ve become rather obsessed with making t-shirt yarn since i’ve found out how easy (and therapeutic!) it is to make. It’s so versatile and I love the fact you can make it with those old shirts that are destined for a thrift store.
You can yarn or knit with it, but if you’re not that way inclined (which I’m not) then it’s the perfect material to use for DIY Macrame Pot Hangers.
Here’s how you can make your own in a few easy steps.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- A t-shirt – for best results, try and find one without seams down the side and without any logo or prints. Having said that, the shirt that I’ve used had both and it didn’t matter too much for the purpose I used it for! Oh, and no lycra, but a cotton blend is fine.
1.Lay your t-shirt out on a flat surface. Get as flat as possible, and make sure there are no lumps or fabric folds. Cut a horizontal straight line from the armpits, and cut off the bottom hem. You should be left with a rectangle. Discard top and bottom pieces.
2.Fold one side of the t-shirt towards to the other, leaving a 1-inch space at the top. Measure 3cm strips with your ruler and pencil and cut. Cut over the top seam, but leave about 1 – 2 cms on the other edge.
3. Unfold the t-shirt so you can see the separate strips. Following the photo, begin cutting the strips diagonally across. Starting at the first strip, cut diagonally to the second strip. Repeat across.
4. Now that you have a single strip of t-shirt yarn, pull it through your hands to create the tube shape. This enables the edges to curl.
5. Keep pulling until it is all tube-shaped. Roll the t-shirt yarn into a ball
6. Done! Now use your t-shirt yarn for crocheting, yarning, macrameing or anything else you’d like.