I was so inspired by this year’s Wonder Woman movie, I just knew I had to try and make this costume for Halloween! Happily, after a bit of research, I discovered it was going to be easier than I thought to make the bracers and headband. Once you’ve made these, you can easily buy a cheap dress and team it with some long boots to complete the outfit.
Here’s what you need to make your own bracers and headband.
- Black Foam – I used a sheet of A2
- Templates (I found these which were perfect)
- Silver and black acrylic paint
- Sticky dots
- Double sided tape
- Packing tape (this will help make the foam stronger!)
- Stanly knife and scissors
1.First, trace your templates onto tracing paper. Trace these onto the foam with a pen, press really hard so they make an imprint onto your foam. This will be your guide.
2.Cut out your bracers and headband. Next, paint the bracers silver. Use a stiff brush and don’t be too neat as you want it to look like brushed metal. Do the same for the headband.
3.Use double sided tape to stick on the star and the additional stripe to your headband. You can skip this step, but I found by giving it a few layers it really gave it some wow factor.
4. Using the gold paint, add some details to your bracers. I referred back to a picture online to make sure I was painting in the right place.
5. Now take a black marker and draw your lines onto the bracers and headband. You can use the indents that you made previously as a guide, but if you can’t see them, you might like to trace over again using the templates before you use your marker.
6. I used packing tape to fortify the foam! This will make sure it’s nice and strong so you can actually wear them without fear of them splitting.
6. Cut out some strips of foam around 5 cm wide by 30cm long (you can cut these shorter if you need to later). Cut two slits on each side of each bracer, thread the strips through and attach your sticky dots. Make sure they fit on your arm!
7. I used a staple to connect the ribbon to the headband, and then put some packing tape over the staple so it wouldn’t get caught in my hair, but you could also use double sided tape or a glue gun.
You’re done! Team with a Wonder Woman outfit and some knee high boots and you’re ready to save the world 🙂
What are you dressing up as for Halloween? Let me know by commenting below!